I have been working for a while on grouping Australian Cricket Competitions by type in order to compare records across different competitions.
I have modelled this loosely on the Minor League Baseball with different levels, such as AAA, AA and A.
I have created an Australian Version to cover the main competitions from Premier Cricket down to small cricket associations. The top tier is Premier Cricket and it works it’s way down to Tier 5.
I may have left competitions out and for that I apologise. I have also only included one suburban turf competition per state except for the ACT which does not have a suburban turf competition. If you believe I have missed something out or got the gradings wrong, please don’t hesitate to contact me. This is only a draft working document,
Below is what I have graded.
Tier 1 – Premier Cricket Competitions
- ACT Premier Cricket
- NSW Premier Cricket
- Queensland Premier Cricket
- South Australia Premier Cricket
- Tasmania Premier Cricket
- Victoria Premier Cricket
- Western Australia Premier Cricket
Tier 2 – Competitions which have a record of a number of players moving from their competition to a Premier Cricket Competition or have a Premier Cricket Competition located in their area.
- NSW: Central Coast, Cricket Albury Wodonga, Illawarra, Newcastle, Sydney Shires, Wagga Wagga
- Northern Territory: Darwin
- Queensland: Gold Coast, Ipswich & West Moreton, Queensland Sub-District, Sunshine Coast
- South Australia: Adelaide Turf
- Tasmania: Cricket North, Cricket North-West, Southern Cricket Association
- Victoria: Geelong, Victoria Sub-District
- Western Australia: Peel, WA Suburban Turf
Tier 3 – Competitions which cover two or more Cricket Associations or their main LGA has a population greater than 75,000 as at the last Australian Census.
- NSW: Bathurst-Orange, Blue Mountains, Coalfields Cup, Coastal League, Maitland, Shoalhaven, South Coast, South West Slopes,
- Queensland: Fraser Coast, Mackay, Toowoomba, Towmsville
- Victoria: Ballarat, Bendigo, Mornington Peninsula,
- Western Australia: Bunbury
Tier 4 – Competitions that have 5 or more standalone teams in their 1st Grade Competition or their main LGA has a population greater than 25,000 at the last Australian Census.
- NSW: Armidale, Bourke, Coffs Harbour, Dubbo, Far South Coast, Goulburn, Griffith, Highlands, Tamworth
- Queensland: Gympie, Warwick
- South Australia: Alexandra & Eastern Hills, Barossa & Light, Great Southern, Hills, Mount Gambier, Riverland
- Victoria: Bairnsdale, Bellarine Peninsula, Ferntree Gully, Gisborne, Goulburn Murray, Leongatha, Sale-Maffra, Seymour, Shepparton, Sunraysia, Traralgon, Wangaratta, Warragul, Warrnambool, West Gippsland, Wimmera/Mallee
- Western Australia: Albany, Busselton Margaret River, Kalgoorlie Boulder
Tier 5 – Competitions that have 4 or less standalone teams in their 1st Grade Competition or their main LGA has a population less than 25,000 at the last Australian Census.
- NSW: Barrier, Clarence River, Cobar, Dungog & Upper Hunter, Gilgandra, Gulgong, Gunnedah, Hay, Inverell, Lake Cargellico, Lithgow, Lower Clarence, Monaro, Moree, Mudgee, Murray Valley, Nambucca Valley, Narrabri, Northern Districts, Parkes, Pilliga, Tumut, West Wyalong, Yass
- Northern Territory: Alice Springs, Katherine, Tennant Creek
- Queensland: Bowen, Bundaberg, Lockyer, Proserpine, South Burnett, Stanthorpe
- South Australia: Eastern Eyre, Far West, Great Flinders, Kangaroo Island, Le Hunte, Lower Yorke Peninsula, Murray Towns, Northern Flinders, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Port Pirie, Roxby Districts, Torrens Valley, Tumby Bay, Whyalla, Yorke Peninsula
- Victoria: Castlemaine, Colac, Emu Valley, Grampians, Hamilton, Horsham, Maryborough, Portland, Red Cliffs, South West, Swan Hill District, Yarra Valley
- Western Australia: Avon, Broome, Christmas Island, Eastern Districts, Eastern Goldfields, Esperance, Fortescue, Geraldton, Great Southern, Green Range Ongerup, Lakes, Newman, Northam, South Midlands, Upper Great Southern, Warren Blackwood, West Pilbara, Wyalkatchem
Rob Aitken who currently plays for UTS North Sydney Cricket Club will play his 500th NSW Premier 1st Grade Match tomorrow. He has played the most Premier 1st Grade matches in NSW and also no other player across Australia has played 500 Australian Premier 1st Grade matches.
- He has played in 499 matches currently, the nearest is Ken Hall with 471 matches.
- He is currently 6th on the total of 1st Grade Wins with 202 victories. Ken Hall leads with 257, then Jarryd Burke with 219, Greg Mail 217, Anthony Clark 207, Ian Moran with 204 followed by Rob.
- He is participated in 30 NSW Premier 1st Grade seasons, only one of 10 players to do this. Warren Bardsley holds the record with 35 seasons.
- He has played in 265 1st Grade matches with his brother James Aitken. This is a record for siblings and second overall for players, with Anthony Clark and Grant Lambert holding the record with 291 matches together.
- He is 10th on the overall list of 1st Grade run scorers, needing 27 runs to pass Grant Lambert to move into 9th position. He could possibly move into 5th position, needing another 500 runs to pass Richard Chee Quee. Greg Mail holds the record with 15,242 runs.
- Overall, Rob has scored 11,387 runs at an average of 29.35 in 494 innings. He has been left not out on 106 occasions. His highest score is 116 against Sutherland. He has made 8 centuries, 59 half centuries and 38 ducks.
- He has taken 618 wickets in 1st Grade at an average of 27.00. He has bowled 5010.3 overs, 887 maidens and conceded 16686 runs. His best bowling is 6 for 25 against Northern District. He conceded an average of 3.33 runs per over and has taken 5 wickets in an innings on 14 occasions.
- He has taken 158 catches in 1st Grade.
- He has played 47 matches in the T20 competition, scoring 639 runs and taking 48 wickets.
- His most successful season in terms of runs is 820 runs in the 2004/05 season.
- His most successful season in terms of wickets is 42 wickets in the 2000/01 season.
- He has played for 4 1st Grade clubs, Fairfield-Liverpool (1992/93-1994/95), Petersham-Marrickville (1995/96-1996/97), Parramatta (1997/98-2000/01) and North Sydney (2001/02-present)
- He has played 294 matches currently for North Sydney.
- He has played against all 20 1st Grade Clubs as well as T20 matches against Greater Illawarra, Illawarra and Newcastle.
- He has scored the most runs against Mosman (859), followed by Manly-Warringah (855) and Sydney University (723).
- He has taken the most wickets against St George (43), followed by Penrith (41) and Manly-Warringah (39)
- He has played on 33 1st Grade Grounds in his Premier 1st Grade Career
- He has scored the most runs in his career at North Sydney Oval with 3667 runs. He has also passed 1000 runs at Old Kings Oval.
- He has taken the most wickets in his career at North Sydney with 184 wickets. He has also passed 50 career wickets at Old Kings Oval.
- He has batted at all possible batting positions in 1st Grade. He has had the most innings at positions 6 and 7, scoring 3962 and 2941 runs respectively at those positions. He has also passed 1000 runs at positions 4 and 5.
- He has played the most matches in 1st Grade with his brother, James Aitken with 265 matches. He has also played over 100 matches with Glenn Aitken, Scott Rodgie, James Campbell, Justin Avendano, Mathew Burton and Glen Sullivan.
- He has been dismissed the most times by Warren Buttigieg, Adam Semple and Dom Thornely, each dismissing him on five occasions.
- He has dismissed Nathan Catalano the most times (5), there are then 11 players which he has dismissed on 4 occasions.
- He has been dismissed caught (both fielder and keeper) on 238 occasions (48.2%), bowled (13.8%), lbw 44, run out 23, caught & bowled 13 and stumped twice.
- 52.2% of his wickets are caught (both fielder and keeper), 15.5% lbw, 14.4% bowled, 13.2% stumped and 4.7% caught and bowled.
Most Runs Australian Premier 1st Grade 2021/22:
631 H Burdon (GC)
601 DR Drew (WT)
540 AM Hardie (Wil)
540 KR Smith (WT)
520 A Grewal (NSb)
501 SJ Truloff (WSQ)
501 HW Wood (Ips)
491 J Cooper (SR)
478 JJ Clayton (UQ)
452 J Brown (NSQ)
Highest Scores Australian Premier 1st Grade 2021/22:
214* DR Drew (WT)
206* KR Smith (WT)
205* NS Virk (Gle)
199 BT Capel (WT)
187* SM Whiteman (Fre)
182* E Peterson (SB)
181 BE Maher (SC)
180* DR Drew (WT)
179* AM Hardie (Wil)
176* BR McDermott (Lin)
Most Wickets Australian Premier 1st Grade 2021/22:
31 SA Milenko (Red)
26 W Sanders (UQ)
23 H McKenzie (SF)
22 L Hope-Shackley (WM), CJ Boyce (Val), DJ Turkich (CN), DM Whyte (Val)
20 MG Spoors (Stu), H Sardar (NSQ)
19 LN O’Connor (BM), W Dhillon (Wil), CD Hinchliffe (ML)
Most Wickets Australian Premier 1st Grade 2021/22:
7-40 HJ Manenti (NT)
7-41 C Kaluthanthri (SR)
7-55 CT Valente (SHSB)
6-24 MJ Turner (Mel)
6-32 HA Martin (Woo)
6-35 AJ Tye (Sca)
6-36 SA Milenko (Red)
6-37 J Wilde (BM)
6-40 JD Chislett (UWA)
6-44 DOD White (UNSW)
Most Dismissals Australian Premier 1st Grade 2021/22:
24 TA Healy (NSQ)
19 LD Pfeffer (Val)
18 AJ Bottega (ML)
17 B Tredget (SF)
16 GD Barnes (Fre), J Curtis (Per), B Faber (SB)
15 R Strickland (SP), H Walker (UQ)
14 L Farrow (Mel), TP Cummins (SU)