I have been working for a while on grouping Australian Cricket Competitions by type in order to compare records across different competitions.
I have modelled this loosely on the Minor League Baseball with different levels, such as AAA, AA and A.
I have created an Australian Version to cover the main competitions from Premier Cricket down to small cricket associations. The top tier is Premier Cricket and it works it’s way down to Tier 5.
I may have left competitions out and for that I apologise. I have also only included one suburban turf competition per state except for the ACT which does not have a suburban turf competition. If you believe I have missed something out or got the gradings wrong, please don’t hesitate to contact me. This is only a draft working document,
Below is what I have graded.
Tier 1 – Premier Cricket Competitions
- ACT Premier Cricket
- NSW Premier Cricket
- Queensland Premier Cricket
- South Australia Premier Cricket
- Tasmania Premier Cricket
- Victoria Premier Cricket
- Western Australia Premier Cricket
Tier 2 – Competitions which have a record of a number of players moving from their competition to a Premier Cricket Competition or have a Premier Cricket Competition located in their area.
- NSW: Central Coast, Cricket Albury Wodonga, Illawarra, Newcastle, Sydney Shires, Wagga Wagga
- Northern Territory: Darwin
- Queensland: Gold Coast, Ipswich & West Moreton, Queensland Sub-District, Sunshine Coast
- South Australia: Adelaide Turf
- Tasmania: Cricket North, Cricket North-West, Southern Cricket Association
- Victoria: Geelong, Victoria Sub-District
- Western Australia: Peel, WA Suburban Turf
Tier 3 – Competitions which cover two or more Cricket Associations or their main LGA has a population greater than 75,000 as at the last Australian Census.
- NSW: Bathurst-Orange, Blue Mountains, Coalfields Cup, Coastal League, Maitland, Shoalhaven, South Coast, South West Slopes,
- Queensland: Fraser Coast, Mackay, Toowoomba, Towmsville
- Victoria: Ballarat, Bendigo, Mornington Peninsula,
- Western Australia: Bunbury
Tier 4 – Competitions that have 5 or more standalone teams in their 1st Grade Competition or their main LGA has a population greater than 25,000 at the last Australian Census.
- NSW: Armidale, Bourke, Coffs Harbour, Dubbo, Far South Coast, Goulburn, Griffith, Highlands, Tamworth
- Queensland: Gympie, Warwick
- South Australia: Alexandra & Eastern Hills, Barossa & Light, Great Southern, Hills, Mount Gambier, Riverland
- Victoria: Bairnsdale, Bellarine Peninsula, Ferntree Gully, Gisborne, Goulburn Murray, Leongatha, Sale-Maffra, Seymour, Shepparton, Sunraysia, Traralgon, Wangaratta, Warragul, Warrnambool, West Gippsland, Wimmera/Mallee
- Western Australia: Albany, Busselton Margaret River, Kalgoorlie Boulder
Tier 5 – Competitions that have 4 or less standalone teams in their 1st Grade Competition or their main LGA has a population less than 25,000 at the last Australian Census.
- NSW: Barrier, Clarence River, Cobar, Dungog & Upper Hunter, Gilgandra, Gulgong, Gunnedah, Hay, Inverell, Lake Cargellico, Lithgow, Lower Clarence, Monaro, Moree, Mudgee, Murray Valley, Nambucca Valley, Narrabri, Northern Districts, Parkes, Pilliga, Tumut, West Wyalong, Yass
- Northern Territory: Alice Springs, Katherine, Tennant Creek
- Queensland: Bowen, Bundaberg, Lockyer, Proserpine, South Burnett, Stanthorpe
- South Australia: Eastern Eyre, Far West, Great Flinders, Kangaroo Island, Le Hunte, Lower Yorke Peninsula, Murray Towns, Northern Flinders, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Port Pirie, Roxby Districts, Torrens Valley, Tumby Bay, Whyalla, Yorke Peninsula
- Victoria: Castlemaine, Colac, Emu Valley, Grampians, Hamilton, Horsham, Maryborough, Portland, Red Cliffs, South West, Swan Hill District, Yarra Valley
- Western Australia: Avon, Broome, Christmas Island, Eastern Districts, Eastern Goldfields, Esperance, Fortescue, Geraldton, Great Southern, Green Range Ongerup, Lakes, Newman, Northam, South Midlands, Upper Great Southern, Warren Blackwood, West Pilbara, Wyalkatchem