ACT 1st Grade Cricket Clubs
ACT Under 19s
The Under 19s side participated in the Limited Overs competition in the limited overs competition in 2002/03 and 2012/13. The team later competed in the Twenty20 competition.
Formed for the 1928/29 season, they participated until the 1933/34 season when they withdrew from the competition due to their lack of competitiveness.
One of the first clubs formed in Canberra, formed around the farmlands near what is now the Old Canberra Inn in Lyneham. Their home ground was at the Fernhill Farm which is located in what is now in Lyneham. The club continued into the district competition where their area moved towards the current suburb of Ainslie, situated around what was then known as Ainslie Oval.
Formed around the area near Braddon, the club only lasted one season and forfeited games near the end of that season.
Albury & Border/Albury Wodonga
The team was the representative side of the Albury & Border Cricket Association, now known as the Albury Wodonga Cricket Association. The side played in the Konica Cup between 2006/07 to 2009/10. Albury Wodonga also participated in the Twenty20 Competition.
Australian National University
The Australian National University Cricket Club first participated in 1st Grade in 1963/64 and have competed in 1st Grade continuously until the present day. The club participated in the lower grades first as Canberra University College later as University.
The side was made up of Cadets who were in residence at the Royal Military College. The side participated from 1922/23 to 1926/27 until the competition was restructured into a district competition. A second side participated in the initial FTCA season but withdrew after half a season.
The Canberra Cricket Club participated from the 1922/23 season until the 1927/28 season when they withdrew. The side was based around the Capitol Hill workmen’s camps and withdrew after the camps started to disband after the completion of the provisional Parliament House.
The Capitol Hill Cricket Club participated for one season in 1926/27 based around the Capitol Hill Camp where the current New Parliament House in located.
City (later City-Daramalan)
The City District Cricket Club was formed after the restructure of the cricket competition in 1969/70. Although a new club, the club was formed with the players of the Northbourne, Ainslie and Turner Cricket Clubs. The club merged with the Daramalan City & Suburban club in 1988/89 and participated as City-Daramalan.
City & Suburban
The City & Suburban side was the representative side of the Canberra City & Suburban Cricket Association which participated in five seasons between 2001/02 and 2009/10 in the Konica Cup. The side also competed in the
A side made up of members of the services competed in the 1st Grade competition in 1953/54. A number of the members of the side were stationed in Canberra for the visit of Queen Elizabeth II.
The Duntroon Cricket Club participated between 1922/23 and 1927/28 seasons and was made up of staff of the Royal Military College including commissioned officers as well as civilian staff of the College.
Eastern Suburbs (formerly East Canberra)
The East Canberra Cricket Club was formed after the restructure of the competition in 1969/70. Although a brand new club, the club was based around players of the Manuka and Kingston Cricket Clubs. The side was renamed Eastern Suburbs in the 1984/85 season. The club then merged with Woden Valley for the 1989/90 season to be known as South Canberra.
Eastlake (formerly South Canberra and South Canberra Eastlake)
The Eastlake Cricket Club was formed after the merger of Eastern Suburbs and Woden Valley Cricket Clubs following the reduction of the competition from 10 to 8 clubs. The club was renamed South Canberra Eastlake in the 1998/99 season and then to the current club name in 1999/00.
Eastlake (formerly Power House)
The initial Eastlake Cricket Club was originally named Power House in 1914 and was formed by workers of the Canberra Power House. The club was renamed Eastlake prior to the start of the FTCA competition in 1922/23. The club withdrew from the competition after the 1926/27 season following the restructure of the competition.
Ginninderra (formerly Ginninderra West Belconnen)
The Ginninderra Cricket Club initially started to participate in grade competitions in the ACTCA Sub-District competition in 1975/76 after competing as a junior cricket club only. The club was then admitted to the 3rd and 4th Grades in 1978/79 and then admitted to an expanded Grade competition in 1979/80 along with Weston Creek. The club was known as Ginninderra West Belconnen from 1990/91 to 2004/05 following an agreement with the West Belconnen Leagues Club.
The Goulburn representative side participated for five seasons in the Konica Cup between 1999/00 and 2008/09. The side later participated in the ACT lower grade T20 competitions.
Griffith & Leeton
A combined representative side from the Griffith and Leeton Cricket Associations participated in the Konica Cup Limited Overs Competition in 2006/07 and 2007/08.
The Hall Cricket Club centred around the village of Hall played in the ACT 1st Grade Competitions between 1922/23 and 1939/40 for 15 seasons. The club drew their players from the Hall village as well as the surrounding farms. The club continued to participate in the lower grades until the early 1960s.
The Hostel Cricket Club was based around the Hostel of unmarried men who were in Canberra to help build the Hotel Canberra, now known as the Hyatt. The Hostel was located in what is now known as Stirling Park near the current Lotus Bay. The club participated for two seasons, 1923/24 and 1924/25 before disbanding. A number of player went on to form the Westlake Cricket Club.
One of the powerhouses of the early competition, the side first participated in the competition in the first season of district cricket in 1928/29 and continued until 1968/69 when the competition was restructured. The club was centred around the shopping and residential district of Kingston.
The Leeton Cricket Association representative side broke away from the Griffith side and played as a standalone side for two seasons of the Konica Cup in 2008/09 and 2009/10. Leeton later competed in the Twenty20 Competition.
Manuka (for a period Manuka-Yarralumla)
The Manuka Cricket Club first participated in the initial district competition in 1928/29 and continued until 1968/69 when the competition was restructured. From 1953/54 to 1961/62, the side combined with sub-district club Yarralumla and was named Manuka-Yarralumla. This agreement lapsed after 1961/62 and the name reverted back to Manuka.
The McCarthy’s XI side participated for one season in 1925/26 playing 18 matches. The side was based around the Red Hill area but did not participate after their initial season.
An eleven from the Newcastle District Cricket Association participated in the Konica Cup Limited Overs Competition in the 2009/10 season only.
The North Albury Cricket Club participated in the Konica Cup Limited Overs Competition for one season, 2001/02 following the withdrawal of the Albury & Border Cricket Association from the competition.
North Canberra-Gungahlin (formerly North Canberra Daramalan and North Canberra-Ainslie)
The North Canberra-Gungahlin Cricket Club was formed following a merger of the City-Daramalan and City District Cricket Clubs following the restructure of the competition from 10 to 8 teams in 1989/90. The club was renamed North Canberra-Ainslie in 1995/96 following an agreement with the Ainslie Football Club. The club was renamed again in 1999/00 to North Canberra-Gungahlin to take advantage of the new growth area of Gungahlin.
The Northbourne Cricket Club first played in the 1925/26 and continued to play after the introduction of the district competition in 1928/29. The side continued until the restructure of the competition following the 1968/69 season. The club was centred around Northbourne Oval in Braddon.
A representative side from the Northern Riverina Cricket Council participated in the Konica Cup Limited Overs Competition from 2006/07 to 2007/08.
The Northern Suburbs Cricket Club first played in the 1st Grade competition in 1963/64 and continued until the restructure of the competition in 1989/90 when they merged with the City-Daramalan club. The club was formed around the newly established suburbs of Downer, Hackett and Watson.
The longest serving club in the ACT 1st Grade Competition, Queanbeyan District Cricket Club has played in the competition in 1923/24 and then from 1926/27 until the current day. The original Queanbeyan club was formed in 1860 but folded three times before the current club was formed. The side was part of the 1923/24 season but withdrew part way through the season to concentrate on playing sides from the local district.
A colts side from Riverina participated in the Konica Cup Limited Overs Competition in 2009/10 but was generally unsuccessful and did not participate any further in ACT Grade competitions.
A team based on staff who were working at the Royal Military College participated in three seasons in 1st Grade between 1950/51 and 1955/56.
Royal Military College
A side made up from cadets from the Royal Military College participated in the ACT 1st Grade Competition from 1946/47 to 1956/57. A second side participated in the 1st Grade Competition in the 1954/55 season.
The South Eastlake Cricket Club initially participated in B Grade in 1926/27 and then played their only season of A Grade Cricket in 1927/28 prior to the reorganization of the competition to district cricket in 1928/29.
The South Woden Cricket Club was formed in 1969 mainly for residents initially of south of Hindmarsh Drive. The club was formed to take advantage of the growing new suburbs south of the Woden Town Centre. The club merged with the Woden Club in 1984 to form Woden Valley to allow for the introduction of the Tuggeranong Valley Cricket Club into 1st Grade.
The Tuggeranong Valley Cricket Club was admitted to 1st Grade in the 1984/85 season following the amalgamation of the South Woden and Woden clubs. The new club took advantage of the growth areas in the south of Canberra.
The Turner Cricket Club was formed after World War II in 1948/49 to take advantage of the growth in suburbs to the west of Canberra. The club played at the Turner Oval which is now part of the ANU campus around the area of Fellows Oval. The club continued for 21 seasons until the restructure of the competition in 1969.
The Wagga Wagga representative side participated for two seasons in the Konica Cup Limited Overs Competition in 1999/00 and 2009/10. The side later participated in the Twenty20 Competition.
Western District (for a period Western District-University of Canberra)
Initially formed as the Belconnen Cricket Club, the side quickly took on the name as Western District for their initial season in the newly restructured season in 1969/70. The side was named renamed Western District-University of Canberra from 2004/05 to 2018/19 following an agreement with the University of Canberra Sports Union. The side reverted back to the name Western District following the lapse of the agreement.
Formed out of the ashes of the Hostel Cricket Club, the Westlake Cricket Club members were workers from the workmen camps in the area between Capitol Hill and what is now known as Yarralumla. The club participated for two seasons from 1926/27 to 1927/28 before the start of district cricket.
Weston Creek Molonglo (formerly Weston Creek)
Formed in 1972 as a junior club, Weston Creek participated in the sub district competitions in 1975/76 before playing 3rd and 4th Grade in 1978/79. They were added to 1st Grade in an expanded competition in 1979/80. The side was renamed Weston Creek Molonglo in 2013/14 to take advantage of the new residential developments in the Molonglo Valley.
The Westridge club was based around the western end of what is now the suburb of Yarralumla. The club participated in club matches prior to World War I but was then known as the Brickbats as many of the players were workers at the brick works in Yarralumla. The club participated from the initial season until the 1926/27 season.
The Woden Cricket Club was formed in 1965 when a group of cricketers who lived in the newly settled area of Woden Valley. This followed the success in 1963/64 of the formation of the Northern Suburbs. The club was originally going to be called Woden Valley but was formed as Woden District Cricket Club. The Woden Valley name was used when the Woden and South Woden clubs merged in 1984.
The Woden Valley was formed in 1984 when the South Woden and Woden Cricket Clubs merged following the entry of Tuggeranong Valley into the grade competition. The club lasted until the 1988/89 when the reduction of teams from 10 to 8 saw the club merge with Eastern Suburbs. The club had planned to rename itself Southern Cross Woden for the 1989/90 if the reduction of teams did not go ahead.