There have been 40 players so far who have played 1st Grade cricket in the Sydney (now New South Wales) Competition and also 1st Grade in the NSWRL/ARL/NRL competitions.
- Ferris Ashton (Eastern Suburbs)
- Albert Bowden (Glebe)
- Leslie Cody (Eastern Suburbs)*
- Herbert Collins (Eastern Suburbs)*
- Bronco Djura (South Sydney, St George, Western Suburbs)
- George Duffin (Western Suburbs)
- Bill Farnsworth (Newtown)
- Andrew Fitzhenry (Penrith, Parramatta)
- Steve Funnell (St George, Western Suburbs, Eastern Suburbs)
- Reg Fusedale (South Sydney, St George)
- Reg Gasnier (St George)*
- Jack Gibson (Eastern Suburbs, Newtown, Western Suburbs)
- Tom Gillogly (Canterbury-Bankstown, Balmain)
- Frank Gilmore (Newtown, Balmain)
- Max Godfrey (Western Suburbs)
- John Gray (North Sydney, Manly-Warringah)
- Mark Hughes (Canterbury-Bankstown)*
- Garry Hughes (Canterbury-Bankstown)*
- Graeme Hughes (Canterbury-Bankstown)*
- Bill Ives (Glebe, Eastern Suburbs, St George)
- Les Johns (Canterbury-Bankstown)
- Ray Lees (Balmain)
- Ray Lindwall (St George)
- Jock Livingston (South Sydney)
- Des Mullarkey (St George)
- David Niu (St George)
- Rex Norman (Annandale, South Sydney, Eastern Suburbs)
- Corey Pearson (Balmain, St George, St George-Illawarra, Wests Tigers, Parramatta)
- Ward Prentice (Western Suburbs)
- Jack Raynor (South Sydney)*
- John Rheinberger (Eastern Suburbs)*
- Pat Richards (Parramatta, Wests Tigers)*
- Jack Scott (Newtown)
- Dudley Seddon (Newtown)
- James Smith (Eastern Suburbs/Sydney City, Western Suburbs, South Sydney)
- Geoff Spotswood (Western Suburbs, Canterbury-Bankstown)
- Roy Turner (University)
- Alan Walker (Manly-Warringah)
- Lyall Wall (Balmain, Annandale, Western Suburbs, St George)*
- George Wheatley (Balmain, North Sydney)
Those listed with asterisks have also played in a winning 1st Grade Rugby League Grand Final.
Only Jack Raynor (for South Sydney – Rugby League and Paddington – Cricket) and Graeme Hughes (for Canterbury-Bankstown – Rugby League and Petersham-Marrickville – cricket) have won 1st Grade Finals in Cricket and Rugby League.
Steve Funnell, Jack Gibson, Ray Lindwall and Rex Norman played in losing Grand Finals in Rugby League.
Rex Norman and Graeme Hughes are the only two players to play for New South Wales in both sports.
With thanks to David Middleton who supplied some of the information.
If anyone has anyone else who may fit into this category, please leave a comment or contact me through social media.
5 thoughts on “1st Grade Cricket & Rugby League Players”
Arthur “Paddy” Gray played 1st grade League and Cricket for Glebe in the 1920’s.
Corey Pearson also played first grade rugby union for Drummoyne Dirty Reds when they were elevated into first division in 1991.
Hi – you can add ARTHUR CLUES to this list also.He played cricket for Cumberland with a young Richie Benaud and also 1st grade rugby league for West’s, NSW and Australia. He is KANGAROO #220. He then went to England in 1947 to play with Leeds and played minor level cricket.
Also LYALL WALL played for NSW in both cricket and rugby league
Hi – further to this i found by accident last night ROY A. HENRY – played 1st grade cricket and rugby league for North Sydney in the mid – 1920’s. Rugby league player number 235, cricket 207